Our mission is to improve the quality of our life through the support of programs and events that promote the accessibility of streets and trails for cyclists and pedestrians in Coral Gables and adjacent communities.
Our purpose is community-based education of cycling and walking as safe and healthy forms of transportation and recreation, and specifically to:
- Increase the community understanding and awareness of safe driving and necessary walking and cycling infrastructure through a coalition of public, private and community groups;
- Coordinate resources, facilitate and sustain the implementation of a comprehensive program for this purpose through work with government, businesses, residents and visitors.
- Establish a funding mechanism supported by BWCG which can coordinate the educational, environmental and recreational programs.
BWCG is a 501(c)(3) non-profit founded in 2011, non-advocacy organization dedicated to improving the quality of our life through the support of programs and events that promote the accessibility of streets and trails for cyclists and pedestrians in Coral Gables and adjacent communities.
Events promote a culture change that puts biking and walking into people’s daily lives.
- Gables Bike Day: An annual ciclovia that promotes health, physical activity and bike safety in the community
- Bike & BBQ: A police escort ride to Matheson Hammock Park to enjoy delicious grilled hotdogs and burgers.
- Tour of Kitchens - Bike Option: A great way to participate and enjoy the Coral Gables Community Foundation’s Tour of Kitchens on a bike.
- Bike to Work Day: An annual event that promotes the bike as an option for commuting to work.
- PARK[ing] Day: As part of the annual worldwide event, shops, offices, and local organizations transform metered speaking spots into temporary public parks.
Bike tours educate our community of our unique history and safe bicycling habits.
- Gables Bike Tours: Fun and educational bicycle tours every 3rd Sunday of the month, presented with the Coral Gables Museum, offering a different theme and route.
Because we are a non-profit organization, we depend on donations to continue to make a difference in Coral Gables.